From the 1st of January 2012, with the assistance from Counties Manukau District Health Board (DHB) we have been able to train preschool centre staff to implement a daily tooth brushing program at their preschool. This includes funding to train health professionals about oral health and nutrition.
This program of training and oral health education has been very successful and we have seen great results.
The services we provide include:
• General Oral Health and Healthy Food and Drinks Education sessions
• Tooth brushing training program for Preschool Centre Staff
• Ongoing training, support, audit and evaluation of the program
WHY BRUSH TEETH IN PRESCHOOL CENTRES?
There are important reasons why preschool centres should have a daily tooth-brushing program.
• Tooth brushing with fluoride toothpaste is a simple, widely recommended and widely practised method of caring for teeth. When done routinely and properly, tooth brushing can reduce the amount of plaque which contains the bacteria associated with gum disease and tooth decay, as well as provide the cavity-preventing benefits of fluoride.
• Regular removal of plaque from children’s teeth will reduce dental decay.
• Regular brushing with fluoride toothpaste also helps to reduce tooth decay.
• Children learn basic hygiene principles and develop tooth-brushing skills by brushing their own teeth.
• The children may not be brushing at home. Sometimes the only time children brush their teeth are at the preschool they attend. This can encourage families to brush their teeth at home.
• By encouraging young children to brush regularly, we help them to keep their teeth for life